Leiden University in the Netherlands runs a scholarship program known as the LExS (Leiden University Excellence Scholarship). The scholarship is intended to help deserving international students who want to enroll in Leiden University’s master’s program.
|Host Institute||Leiden University|
|Eligible Nationality||Non-EEA/non-EFTA students|
Exception: All nationalities for Advanced LLMs and MSc International Relations and Diplomacy
|Faculty||Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies|
|Deadlines||1 Feb and 1 Oct|
Located in Leiden, Netherlands, Leiden University is a public research institution. In 1575, William, Prince of Orange, established it as a Protestant university. The university, which is renowned for its historical roots and focus on the social sciences, rose to prominence particularly during the Dutch Golden Age, when academics from all over Europe were drawn to the Dutch Republic because of its intellectually open environment and Leiden’s international standing.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
For the course of the master’s degree program, the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship program offers scholarships in the form of tuition fee waivers, ranging from partial to full coverage of the tuition fees. The scholarship is given for the whole master’s program’s duration, which can range from one to two years depending on the program.
You can apply for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship if you fulfill the following requirements:
Study Program Requirements
Candidates for every Master’s program at Leiden University, excluding:
- LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programs at Leiden Law School.
- Study programs start in February at the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Sciences, and Leiden Law School.
In order to be eligible for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship through the Dutch government (Studiefinanciering), applicants must not be citizens of the EEA or EFTA*, with the exception of those applying to the following programs, for whom there are no nationality restrictions:
- Each and every LLM Advanced Studies program
- Diplomacy and International Relations MSc
Students’ previous study program(s), which must be applied to the Master’s degree for which they are applying, must have produced exceptional academic performance.
For the duration of the study program, the LExS is granted. There are three tiers of awards available:
- €10,000 is the cost of tuition.
- €15,000 is the cost of tuition.
- Combined tuition less the mandatory tuition fee
The LExS does not offer full financial aid. Non-EEA LExS recipients still need to show ‘evidence of sufficient money’ with their applications for a student visa or a residence permit.
To apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship, follow the steps given below:
- Apply online and, if necessary, pay the application cost for admission to a master’s program at Leiden University.
- Please take note that creating and submitting an application for admission might take up to two days, so start working on it well in advance of the LExS deadline.
- Return to the Apply screen in your online application after submitting your application for admission, then select Scholarships. You will now be able to see the LExS under the area of the scholarship if you are qualified to apply.
- Please take note that if the LExS does not appear in your area for scholarships, either your application for admission has not yet been filed or you are ineligible for the LExS.
- After indicating your want to apply for the LExS, upload your LExS motivation letter. Your justification for wanting to be considered for the prize must be contained in a PDF file with a maximum word count of 500.
- Application for scholarships must be submitted prior to the LExS deadline. Please note that you cannot edit your scholarship application once you have submitted it, either online or by emailing additional materials.
- If you intend to apply for a LExS for each study course or specialty for which you are applying and you are also applying for more than one, you must submit a LExS application and motivation letter as part of each separate online application for admission.