An international scholarship for postgraduate study at the University of Cambridge is known as the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. The scholarship is one of the most renowned and competitive in the world. It is the most prestigious scholarship program offered by the university to postgraduate students.
|Host Country||United Kingdom|
|Host Institute||University of Cambridge|
|Eligible Nationality||a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom|
|No. of Scholarships||80 (25 for US, 55 for International)|
|Scholarship Value||The full cost of study + Maintenance allowance/ Child allowance +|
|Eligible Levels||PhD (full-time or part-time)|
One-year postgraduate course
|Opening Date||September 2023|
|Closing Date||December 2023|
University of Cambridge
In Cambridge, England, there is a public collegiate research institution called the University of Cambridge. The University of Cambridge is the third-oldest university still in existence, having been founded in 1209. According to the Academic Ranking of World Universities, the university is now rated fourth in the world, third in the world according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and second in the world according to the QS World University Rankings.
There have been 121 Nobel Prizes awarded to Cambridge affiliates, including alumni, professors, and others with formal positions. 194 Olympic medalists and other historically significant, game-changing figures in their disciplines are just a few of the university’s prominent alumni.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
With a $210 million gift, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation started the Gates Cambridge Scholarships in 2000 to help deserving graduate students attend the University of Cambridge. The donation is the largest ever made to a British university. Each scholarship involves money for both academic and professional growth in addition to covering the cost of a postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge. The fellowship has been awarded to more than 2,000 students from more than 110 nations, and more than 200 Gates Cambridge Scholars are now enrolled in academic programs.
The complete cost of attending the University of Cambridge, including tuition fees, living expenses, travel expenses, and other relevant charges, is covered by the scholarships. For purely optional expenses like conferences, fieldwork, and academic advancement, scholars also receive additional cash.
At the University of Cambridge, Gates Cambridge Scholars join a dynamic and diverse community of scholars. The program provides a number of possibilities for social and professional networking, including events, seminars, and access to a sizable alumni network.
Candidates who fulfill the following criteria can apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are open to candidates from any nation aside from the United Kingdom. Candidates must submit an application to the University of Cambridge in order to pursue one of the following full-time residential degrees:
- Ph.D., doctor of philosophy
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil), Master of Letters (MLitt), and Master of Science (MSc)
- Additional one-year postgraduate courses, such as LLM, MRes, and MASt
- In order to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, applicants must simultaneously apply to a course, college, and department, with full placement in each required.
- senior citizens and recent grads.
- may be nationals of any nation other than the United Kingdom.
- any subject offered at the University of Cambridge may be applicable.
- To be eligible for the prize, applicants must submit a separate application to the Cambridge Trusts and a direct application to the University of Cambridge.
The Gates Cambridge Trustees select Scholars based on the following factors:
- Academic excellence: Competency is assessed using a student’s academic record, references, work history, and the likelihood of succeeding in the chosen course. A departmental nomination is necessary to prove this need;
- Dedication to enhancing the lives of others: Scholars share a strong commitment to enhancing the lives of others, which is demonstrated by their past, present, and future commitment to the societies in which they will reside and work;
- Leadership potential: Candidates must demonstrate excellent leadership qualities and make a commitment to “take others with them” as future leaders in their professions and communities.
- Choice of course: The Trust is looking for Scholars who will have a transformative academic experience at Cambridge. Candidates must exhibit intellectual superiority and the knowledge and abilities required to successfully complete the course they have chosen;
Gates The selection process for Cambridge Scholarships is extremely tough and is based on a combination of academic excellence, aptitude for leadership, and a desire to make the world a better place. The social, intellectual, and leadership influence of applicants’ chosen fields of study must be evident.
The scholarships are given for the applicant’s whole degree program, which can last anywhere between one and three years, depending on the subject of study.
How to Apply
The Gates Cambridge does not require university endorsement, but students are encouraged to submit pre-applications and collaborate with OURSD on their materials before the campus deadline.
Through the university’s graduate application portal, candidates submit their applications for admission and financial aid (Gates Cambridge and other funds).
The admission section
You are requesting admission to a particular graduate program and a college position in this section. You will give the typical information about yourself, your academic history, your plans, and your suitability for the suggested course.
The funding section
You can submit applications for a variety of financial aid programs given by the university and affiliated organizations in this part, including the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, which has its own subsection. In order to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you must submit the following information:
Gates Cambridge statement
Please describe why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you fit the four primary requirements in no more than 3000 characters (about 500 words).
Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
Only a research proposal must be submitted as part of a PhD applicant’s funding application at Gates Cambridge. When this is not the case, a research proposal is necessary to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. The majority of PhD applicants will file a research proposal as part of their application for admission.
Gates Cambridge reference
Gates Cambridge applicants must arrange for someone to submit a reference outlining how they fit the scholarship’s requirements in addition to two academic references for admission.