A number of TWAS-CSIR postgraduate fellowships have been established by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and UNESCO-TWAS for international scholars from developing nations who wish to pursue research leading to a PhD in emerging fields of science and technology, for which facilities are available in CSIR laboratories and institutes.
|Postgraduate (Research Leading to PhD)
|Stipend + Living Costs
|15 September 2023
The research topics covered by the CSIR laboratories are often linked with the eligible fields for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship. Common academic specialties that may qualify for the fellowship include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Details
- TWAS-CSIR postgraduate fellowships for a maximum of four years, may be held in India’s CSIR research facilities.
- The applicants may be enrolled in a PhD program at any Indian university or may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country.
- CSIR institutes that qualify: You can learn more about CSIR research facilities and institutes by clicking on the links provided here: https://www.csir.res.in/about-us/csir-network-map. Alternatively, a list of acceptable institutions can be found here.
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for students enrolled in a PhD program back home): A minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 3 years, as determined by the host institute, may be the length of the fellowship.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for individuals not enrolled in a PhD program): The Fellowship may be awarded for up to four years at most.
- A monthly stipend will be provided by CSIR to cover living expenses, food expenses, and health insurance. There will be no currency exchange for the monthly payment. Fellowship recipients also have the right to discounted housing.
- English is the medium of instruction for international academics in CSIR laboratories and institutes.
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship coverage
For chosen students, the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship offers a number of advantages and coverage. The specifics may change, therefore for the most accurate and recent information, please visit the official TWAS and CSIR websites. However, the following are some broad outlines of the fellowship’s coverage:
Monthly Stipend: Fellows are provided with a monthly stipend to help with living costs like housing, food, and other personal needs. The stipend payment is normally made in local money and can vary in value.
Research Support: The fellowship may offer research support, which may include granting access to the equipment, resources, and laboratory space required to carry out the research topic.
Travel Allowance: Fellows typically receive round-trip travel from their home nation to the Indian host institution. The purpose of the travel allowance is to help with the costs of getting to and from India during the fellowship.
Medical Insurance: To maintain their health and well-being throughout the fellowship period, fellows may get medical insurance coverage. The specifics of the medical insurance’s coverage and conditions may change.
Tuition costs: In some circumstances, the fellowship may pay all or a portion of the tuition costs required by the Indian host university. To ensure that tuition expenses are covered, it is crucial to review the precise terms and conditions.
TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Eligibility
Candidates for the TWAS-CSIR postgraduate fellowships must fulfill the requirements listed below:
- being 35 years old at the latest on December 31 of the application year.
- possess citizenship from a developing nation (other than India).
- cannot be in possession of a visa for either temporary or permanent residence in India or any other developed nation.
- own a Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- be both routinely employed and holding research assignments in their own country.
- Be registered as PhD students in their home country to be eligible for a SANDWICH Fellowship, and present the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- If the CSIR approves, applicants for FULL-TIME Fellowships must be prepared to enroll in an Indian university during the first year.
- Obtain official acceptance from the host institution and be accepted in a CSIR laboratory or institution (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or added to the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be sent to the CSIR contact person and the selected CSIR host institution(s). This will enable CSIR to keep track of requests and, if necessary, provide support or assistance in locating suitable host institution(s);
- if English was not your primary language of instruction, you must demonstrate your English ability;
- give proof that the applicant will return to their place of origin after the fellowship is over;
- not take on additional tasks while receiving the fellowship;
- e liable for the support of any accompanying family members financially.
The TWAS-CSIR postgraduate fellowship application guidelines should be properly read and followed. It is advised that you contact TWAS (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any particular questions or clarifications.
- Applicants should make sure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the HOME university signs a copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” (see sample provided in Application Form), which should be forwarded to both CSIR and TWAS if they have previously registered for a PhD in their home country.
- When applying, or at the latest by the deadline, candidates must send the acceptance letter from the CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS. Applications won’t be taken into consideration for selection if they aren’t preliminarily accepted.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme may ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal, and a copy of the submitted application must be emailed to CSIR. Below is a download link for a lesson on how to utilize the online application form.
- Please be aware that applicants are limited to one TWAS and OWSD portfolio program application per calendar year. In that year, applicants are ineligible to participate in the TWAS Visiting Professor programs at any other institution. One exception: The institution’s head may still apply for another program even if he or she asks an outside researcher to offer their expertise as part of the TWAS Visiting Professor programs.